Vidhayak Bharti is a rights-based, non-profit working for the promotion and preservation of child rights and child protection in society. In Hindi and Marathi, ‘Vidhayak’ means ‘someone who causes something to happen or creates’ and ‘Bharti’ means ‘people’.
Vidhayak Bharti was established in 2011 in Mumbai, with an aim to enable children to procure their rights through state and civil participation. We believe that for a child’s holistic development, s/he needs to feel safe and protected and thus child protection forms the core of all our work. For this, we strongly believe in strengthening governmental systems and community members to build a protective environment for the child.
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Children and the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 (JJ Act) forms the backbone of our projects and programs.
A child friendly society where children know and exercise their rights, feel secure and there is a happy and healthy environment for their holistic development.
- To promote active participation of children for creation of a child friendly society
- To create an environment for protection of child rights and promote holistic development of the child by building capacity of state and non-state stakeholders
- To research, build best practices and undertake advocacy for reforms in policies concerning children
Our Core Beliefs
- We believe in rights, not charity
- All our work is done in ‘the best interest of the child’
- We believe in strengthening families and communities as we believe ‘institutional care should be a measure of last resort’
- We do not wish to create “parallel systems” and instead will strengthen, improve and innovate with the systems
- Child participation is central to our work